The Forge the Gorgeous trail race offers two distances so everyone can have fun on the trails. The 7-mile course is two scenic, partially overlapping loops. Those looking for a shorter distance can choose to run one loop for 3.5 miles. All runners start together near the park entrance, and both distances will count toward our Stonehead, Pebblehead, and Boulderhead standings. Note that the 2021 race has been moved back to its traditional Thursday evening date and will kick off the annual Fillmore Days festival.
The route winds along wooded trails on the north and south rims of the Fillmore Glen Gorge, with a brief stretch along a quiet park road. (Be prepared for a lot of stairs in the first and last miles!) The course highlight is where the trail drops into the gorge itself and repeatedly crosses the creek over a series of bridges. The course is well-marked and water stops are provided. If previous years are any indication, the weather may be unpredictable, but the scenery will always be gorgeous!
Bib pick-up is at the main pavilion at Fillmore Glen State Park—1686 Route 38, Moravia, NY 13118.
Be prepared to show an Empire Pass or pay an $8.00 vehicle fee to the park.
The 3.5-mile and 7-mile races start together at 6:00 PM. Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the start to pick up your bib.
- Online registration is required and is open until 6:00 PM on August 11, the night before the race.
- $15 for registration. FLRC members may deduct $5.
- Runners 18 and under may register for free.
- During registration, runners are required to agree to our COVID-19 race safety guidelines.
- Restrooms, showers, and swimming are available at Fillmore Glen State Park. (The swimming hole, located next to the finish line, is open until 7:00 PM.)
- Post-race goodies will be provided.
- Results are available live during the race via Webscorer. Visit the FLRC Web site for full results later.
- This race is part of the Finger Lakes Trail Circuit, for all you Pebbleheads, Stoneheads, and Boulderheads.
- For remaining questions, contact race director Lorrie Tily (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The award ceremony takes place shortly after the race, with awards in the following categories:
- First overall male and female
- First in each of these age groups, male and female:
1–10, 11–18, 19–29, 30–39, 40–49, 50–59, 60–69, and 70+.
- Look for trail markers or you could end up off course! As with all trail runs, it’s on you to pay attention.
- Unlike road races, the footing is not level. It is uneven and can be dangerous. A fall or injury is possible.
- Insect bites, mud, treacherous footing, fallen logs, and vehicles at road crossings are possible hazards.
- Heat could be a problem this time of year; if so, carry fluids and watch for symptoms of heat exhaustion!
- No dogs, headphones, or jogging strollers. These make the race dangerous for everyone.
- The race directors reserve the right to reject any entry for any reason.
- Entry fees are non-refundable, even if the race is canceled because of an act of nature or mankind.
- This race is organized by the Finger Lakes Runners Club and insured by the Road Runners Club of America.