The FLRC Trail Circuit offers something for everyone. Long or short, hilly or flat, gorges or lake views, spring, summer, or fall—the choice is yours! For best results, run them all, recover, and then repeat annually.
How It Works
For each race, every runner gets a score determined by dividing the winning time by their time, then multiplying by 100. So the winner gets 100 points, and everyone else gets a score under 100.
- Pebblehead: The Pebblehead rankings are based on each runner’s top three races, and the Pebblehead awards are usually won by runners who have won or placed high in three races—Pebbleheads are our speedsters. Awards are given to the top man and woman.
- Stonehead: For the Stonehead rankings, all qualifying races count, and scores are tallied cumulatively. The more races in the circuit you run, the more points you garner. Stoneheads may not be the fastest, but they’re our quintessential trail runners, grinding out solid race after solid race. Awards are given to the top man and woman.
- Boulderhead: The Boulderhead rankings use a simpler scoring system—1 mile equals 1 point, regardless of finishing place. The runner—and there’s only one—who notches the most miles wins. Run the longest distance in each of our trail races and you’ll hit 150 miles.
2019 Rankings and Winners
Congratulations to the 2019 winners, who each received a custom award (a rock, of course!) engraved with their name. For the full rankings in each category, click the headings below.
- Pebblehead (F): Greta Sieve — 293.87 points
- Pebblehead (M): Eric Sambolec — 300.00 points
- Stonehead (F): Sarah Ridenour — 568.42 points
- Stonehead (M): Bill King — 649.47 points
- Boulderhead: Pete Kresock — 105 miles
Big thanks to Steve Supron and Michael Xiao of Rev, Ithaca’s business incubator, who put in hours of work helping us create this year’s awards on Rev’s Glowforge laser engraver.
|Race name||Month||Distance(s)||Location and other notes|
|Super Frosty Loomis Snowshoe Race||February||5K, 10K||Hammond Hill State Forest, Dryden NY|
|Thom B Trail Runs||May||13K, 26K, 42K||Hammond Hill State Forest, Dryden NY|
|Tortoise & Hare Trail Run||June||10K||Buttermilk Falls State Park, Ithaca NY|
|Finger Lakes Fifties||July||25K, 50K, 50 miles||Finger Lakes National Forest, Hector NY|
|Forest Frolic Trail Runs||August||7K, 15K||Virgil State Forest, Virgil NY|
|Forge the Gorgeous Trail Run||August||7 miles||Fillmore Glen State Park, Moravia NY|
|Lucifer's Crossing||August||6.66 miles||Robert H. Treman State Park, Ithaca NY
(Not sponsored by FLRC, but part of the FLRC Trail Circuit.)
|Monster Marathon & Half Marathon||September||13.1 miles, 26.2 miles||Robert H. Treman State Park, Ithaca NY|
|Danby Down & Dirty||October||10K, 20K||Danby State Forest, Danby NY|
Races that were previously included in the circuit:
- Tanglefoot Trail Race (no results in 2019)
- Highland Forest 1-2-3 (removed in 2017)
- Finger Lakes Snowshoe Race (last run in 2008)
- Empire Haven Clover Leaf 4.8 mi or 16.8 mi (last run in 2005)
- Mountain Madness (last run in 2010)