Thanks to all who showed up for the race. We had a great time and the weather was terrific! We had 420 participants including five Girls on the Run teams, members of the South Hill Striders youth running group and the Ithaca Youth Bureau Couch to 5k program. Thanks to all our participants!
The overall male and female winners were Sam Lagasse with a time of 16:20, and Aubrie Russel with a time of 20:40. Full results can be found at on our race web page. Age group winners can be found on the Leone Timing website (click and scroll down.)
Many thanks need to go out to a number of folks and organizations: ESPN Ithaca for finish line tunes and announcements; Papa John’s for the pizza delivery; the Ithaca Fire Police for keeping runners safe on the major intersections; Girls on the Run Upstate for coming out and having fun; GiveGab for the Giving is Gorges campaign to support GotR; Ian Golden and Finger Lakes Running Company for hosting packet pickup the day before the race.
A huge thank you to all the excellent volunteers for which we couldn’t put on the quality races that we do:
- Pre-race day packet pickup folks: Joe Reynolds, Pete Daby, Mike Sullivan, Amelia Kaufman, Shelly Marino, and KC Ryan.
- Day of registration/packet pickup and food servers: Steve Shaum, Brenda Michaud, Mike Allinger, and Shelly Marino.
- Course staging and cleaning up: Bill King and John Donaldson.
- Course Marshals: Denice Cassaro, Lesa Carter, Pete Kresock, Bill Watson, Jullien Flynn, Amelia Kaufman, Aaron Proujansky, and Heather Cobb.
- Water Station Attendants: Bob and Emily Talda, Mark and Bryce Jauquet, Butch Sanders and Debbie.
- Starting Announcer: Joel Cisne.
- Past Race Director: Gary McCheyne for equipment and advice.
Thanks to all of these awesome volunteers.They help make the day that much better!
ESPN Ithaca did a pre-race interview with GotR Executive Director Danielle Fleckenstein to discuss the organization’s partnership with FLRC and Giving is Gorges for this year’s Twilight.
There was no rain and no train this year, but plenty of volleyball players and a bluegrass band in Stewart Park. Who knows what next year will hold for us? Until then enjoy the racing season and have fun outdoors!
Next up is the first of our three summer outdoor track meets, June 18 at the Lansing High School track. The meets are family- and beginner-friendly and registration is open for all three.