Snowshoes? That’s right, when winter covers our beloved trails, some of us switch to snowshoes and keep on running. Racing snowshoes are a far cry from the tennis racket-shaped gear of yesteryear—you strap them on over your normal running shoes to get a stable platform that keeps you on top of the snow. It’s harder than running, but incredible exercise and huge fun to boot. So fight the frost and conquer the cold in this upstate NY snowshoe race—it’s the only one in the Ithaca area!
The well-marked 5K and 10K courses are part of the Hammond Hill State Forest trail system, which is commonly used for skiing and snowshoeing. It should be packed down unless there is a big snowfall the night before. We recommend doing the 5K distance if you don’t have much experience snowshoeing or trail running, or if you plan on walking the distance. The 10K is intended for those who are well-trained and have some experience on snowshoes. As race day nears, our Facebook page will be updated with course conditions and snow levels.
If you don’t have snowshoes (or good ones for running), we’ll have a limited supply of Dion running snowshoes available to rent. Be sure to check the box when you register online.
Bib pickup is at the Hammond Hill public parking lot, no matter what the weather is like outside. And for a snowshoe race, we’re rooting for cold and snowy!
We can use some help putting this race on—if you’d like to volunteer, look at the available volunteer opportunities and sign up to help in Helper Helper.
If you’ve never run a trail race before, check out our First-Timers FAQs for Trail Races.
The races start and finish in front of the Hammond Hill warming hut, just up the trail from the public parking lot. The lot’s address is (roughly) 100 Hammond Hill Road, Freeville, NY 13068. Do not follow GPS directions via Harford Road—it is not passable. Instead, come via Irish Settlement Road.
Parking in the lot is extremely limited, so carpool or plan accordingly. Please do not park on the snowmobile trail on the right side of Hammond Hill Road—you’ll likely get stuck.
From Ithaca: Take Route 13 north toward Dryden. Before entering Dryden, take a right onto Irish Settlement Road. After going through an S curve you will go up a big hill; continue a couple of miles. Take a left onto Hammond Hill Road. Soon you will come to a Y intersection; take the right fork. At the top of the hill is a parking lot on the right. Park here. The start/finish area is on the trail a short walk east from the parking lot.
For real-time, turn-by-turn directions for the 10K and 5K, download the free RunGo app to your phone and search for Super Frosty Loomis. You can run with your phone and use the app to give audible cues when and where to turn. The map is GPS-based, so lack of cell service in the forest will not affect navigation. Direct link to 10K | Direct link to 5K
The 5K will start at 10:00 AM, with the 10K starting at 10:15. Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your race to pick up your bib.
ONLINE REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED and is open until 6:00 PM the night before the race. There is NO day-of-race registration. The parking lot is limited to 40 cars, so the more people who carpool, the more can enter. After 40 people register, we’ll start adding people from the waitlist based on carpool numbers.
- Registration costs $20.
- FLRC members may deduct $5.
- Runners 18 and under may register for free.
- If financial considerations would prevent you from entering this race, please use coupon code FLRCRUNFREE2024 during registration to waive the entry fee.
- No race-day registration!
The 5K will have awards for the overall male and female winners only. In the 10K distance, we’ll have overall and 10-year age-group awards, as the 10K is generally more competitive. The post-race celebration at the Dryden Hotel is scheduled for noon.
- Leave early to get to the race since the driving conditions may require additional travel time.
- If you are renting snowshoes, allow extra time to pick up your gear and attach it to your running shoes.
- Wear appropriate clothing for the weather, and bring additional dry clothing for after the race. You will get wet!
- Pay attention to trail markings or you’ll end up off course! As with all trail runs, it’s on you to pay attention.
- The race may be canceled due to inclement weather or insufficient snow. For the latest updates check the Super Frosty Loomis Facebook page.
- A port-o-john will be available at the parking lot, but there is no running water or changing facilities.
- Results will be made available shortly after the race via Webscorer; visit the FLRC Web site for full results later.
- The warming hut is small. Plan to change and/or keep warm in your car.
- If you have additional questions, please contact race directors Eric Sambolec (email@example.com) or Dave Kania (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- No dogs or headphones are allowed. These make the race dangerous for everyone.
- The race directors reserve the right to reject any entry for any reason.
- Entry fees are non-refundable, even if the race is canceled due to lack of snow.
- If you need an accommodation for a disability to participate in this event, please contact the FLRC Diversity and Inclusion Committee chair at email@example.com.
- This race is organized by the Finger Lakes Runners Club and insured by the Road Runners Club of America.