It is with deep regret that FLRC must announce the cancellation of the 2021 Skunk Cabbage Classic 10K and Half Marathon. Given expected infection rates, venue restrictions, and recommendations from local public health officials, FLRC believes that it would be irresponsible to encourage large gatherings of runners. We must all do what we can to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in our community, and we sincerely hope that we can return to a regular racing schedule in the future.
This year marks the 40th consecutive running of one of Ithaca’s oldest and largest road races, with your choice between USATF-certified 10K and half-marathon distances. Join 1,000 other runners along Ellis Hollow’s scenic countryside as the skunk cabbages start to emerge in early spring!
The races start and finish at Barton Hall at Cornell University. Refreshments will be provided inside Barton after the race. Free parking is available in the “Kite Hill” (Crescent) lot at Schoellkopf Field, the parking garage across from Teagle Hall, and adjacent lots as noted on signs.
Bib Pickup and In-Person Registration
Bib pickup is available the day before the race, Saturday, April 3, from 11 AM to 5 PM at Finger Lakes Running Company (700 Cascadilla Street, Ithaca—next to Purity Ice Cream). You can also sign up for the race in-person during this time.
Bib pickup and day-of-race registration are also available at Barton Hall on race morning, from 8:00 AM to 9:45 AM. If you can’t make it to the Finger Lakes Running Company the day before, please allow plenty of time to pick up your bib.
Race Times and Starting Lines
Half Marathon: 10:00 AM on Campus Road, just outside Barton Hall.
10K: 10:15 AM on Garden Avenue in front of Barton Hall.
Please plan to arrive early enough to allow time for parking and getting ready to run!
Online registration is encouraged! If you cannot register online, you can download and print the paper entry form, sign the waiver, and mail it with the correct fees (payable to “FLRC”.) The paper entry must be postmarked by March 30, 2021.
If you expect to take over 3 hours to complete the half-marathon, please contact the race director. The cut-off time for both races is 1:00 PM. After that, there will be no support on course and the finish line will be closed.
Interested in volunteering? This is a large-scale event that we couldn’t put on without help from individuals in our wonderful community. Please see our online volunteer form to register for a volunteer shift.
- Early-bird registration: $25, December 1 to December 31, 2020 (FLRC members may deduct $5.)
- Regular registration: $40 from January 1, 2021 to April 2. Online registration closes at 1 PM on April 1. All paper entries must be postmarked by March 30.
- Race weekend: $60 from 1:00 PM on April 1 until 9:45 AM on race day.
- Early-bird registration: $20, December 1 to December 31, 2020 (FLRC members may deduct $2.)
- Regular Registration: $30 from January 1, 2021 to April 2. Online registration closes at 1 PM on April 2. All paper entries must be postmarked by March 30.
- 18 and Under: 10K is FREE if registered by 1 PM on April 1.
- Race weekend: $40 from 1 PM on April 1 until 9:45 AM on race day.
Check back soon!
Both courses are USATF distance-certified. It is the runner’s responsibility to know the course!
This scenic course is a lollipop loop with four water stops. Start on Campus Road just outside Barton Hall and head east up campus past the Veterinary School and animal hospitals. You’ll see research barns as you run south down Game Farm Road and then follow a mostly eastward route for the first half of the course. On Ellis Hollow Road and Ellis Hollow Creek Road you’ll maneuver some rolling hills, especially around the halfway point where the famed skunk cabbage can be seen and smelled.
Once you make it up a brief incline on Turkey Hill Road—around mile 10—the rest of the route is fast and flat. Over the final few miles, you’ll run back through campus, past the Dairy Bar on one side and Cornell Botanic Gardens on the other. Finally, enjoy a fast downhill to the finish on Garden Avenue. Download the half-marathon course map (PDF.) USATF Certification # NY11012JG
This course is an out-and-back on a mostly flat, fast course, with two water stops. Start on Garden Avenue in front of Barton Hall and follow the same course as the half-marathon, out Game Farm Road to Stevenson Road. At the 5K mark on Stevenson, you’ll be turned around by volunteers. From here, reverse your course back to the Cornell campus. Re-enter campus on Tower Road, then head toward the Clock Tower, with the Dairy Bar on one side and Cornell Botanic Gardens on the other. Finally, enjoy a fast downhill to the finish on Garden Avenue. Download the 10K course map (PDF.) USATF Certification # NY11011JG
- Restrooms are available in Barton Hall.
- 10K and half-marathon runners will have different colored bibs.
- There will be a lead biker for each race.
- The half-marathon course runs against traffic from Dodge Road until the right turn onto Game Farm Road.
- Volunteers will be stationed roughly every two miles to provide water and Gatorade to all runners for both distances.
- Results will be posted in Barton Hall at the event, and will be available on RunSignUp and on the FLRC Web site soon after the race. The race is timed by Leone Timing.
- For remaining questions, contact the race director.
Be aware that both courses include state and county highways that are open to traffic! Course marshals will assist you in crossing, but all runners need to be alert and aware of traffic. No headphones allowed.
All half marathon finishers will receive an all-new custom finisher’s medal. (Check back soon for image!)
The awards ceremony takes place soon after each race ends, with male and female awards in the following categories:
- Top three overall open, top two overall masters (40–49), and first overall vets (50+.)
- Top three in each of these age groups: 1–14, 15–19, 20–24, 25–29, 30–34, 35–39, 40–44, 45–49, 50–54, 55–59, 60–64, 65–69, and 70+.
Note: There is no duplication of awards.
- If you expect to take over 3 hours to complete the half-marathon, please contact the race director.
- Absolutely no refunds, deferrals, or athlete transfers will be allowed.
- No headphones, jogging strollers, or dogs! These make the race dangerous for everyone.
- The race directors reserve the right to reject any entry for any reason.
- This race is organized by the Finger Lakes Runners Club and the Cornell Running Club, and is insured by the Road Runners Club of America.
Half Marathon: Christian Thompson 1:07:36 (2014), Ellie Pell 1:20:37 (2016)
10K: Tom Boone 30:33 (1987), Tamara Sayre 35:36 (1989)
Masters Half Marathon: Kevin Collins 1:13:17 (2014), Winnie Ngan 1:25:55 (2001)
Masters 10K: Tim Otis 33:20 (1995), Sarah Kramer 38:14 (2005)