The Forge the Gorge trail race offers two distances so everyone can have some off-road fun. The 8-mile course comprises two scenic, partially overlapping scenic loops, whereas the 3-mile course peels off the long course halfway and heads straight to the finish. All runners start together near the park entrance, and both distances will count toward our Stonehead, Pebblehead, and Boulderhead standings.
The route winds along wooded trails on the north and south rims of the Fillmore Glen Gorge, with a brief stretch along a quiet park road. (Be prepared for loads of calf-burning stairs in the first and last miles!) The course highlight is where the trail drops into the gorge itself and repeatedly crosses the creek over a series of bridges. The course is well-marked and water stops are provided. If previous years are any indication, the weather may be unpredictable, but the scenery will always be gorgeous!
Be sure to stick around for the post-race pizza party!
If you’ve never run a trail race before, check out our First-Timers FAQs for Trail Races.
Bib pick-up is at the main pavilion at Fillmore Glen State Park—1686 Route 38, Moravia, NY 13118. Be prepared to show an Empire Pass or pay an $8 vehicle fee to the park.
The 3-mile and 8-mile races start within 15 minutes of each at 6:00 PM. Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the start to pick up your bib.
- Online registration is required and is open until 2 hours before the race.
- $20 for registration.
- FLRC members may deduct $5.
- Runners 18 and under may register for free.
- If financial considerations would prevent you from entering this race, please use coupon code FLRCRUNFREE2024 during registration to waive the entry fee.
- There is no in-person registration at the race.
The award ceremony takes place shortly after the race, with awards in the following categories:
- First overall male and female
- First in each of these age groups, male and female:
1–10, 11–18, 19–29, 30–39, 40–49, 50–59, 60–69, and 70+.
- Restrooms, showers, and swimming are available at Fillmore Glen State Park. (The swimming hole, located next to the finish line, is open until 7:00 PM.)
- Results will be available during the race via Webscorer and later via the FLRC Web site.
- This race is part of the Finger Lakes Trail Circuit, for all you Pebbleheads, Stoneheads, and Boulderheads.
- For remaining questions, contact race director Alan Lockett (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Look for trail markers or you could end up off course! As with all trail runs, it’s on you to pay attention.
- Unlike road races, the footing is not level. It is uneven and can be dangerous. A fall or injury is possible.
- Insect bites, mud, treacherous footing, fallen logs, and vehicles at road crossings are possible hazards.
- Heat could be a problem this time of year; if so, carry fluids and watch for symptoms of heat exhaustion!
- No dogs, headphones, or jogging strollers. These make the race dangerous for everyone.
- The race directors reserve the right to reject any entry for any reason.
- Entry fees are non-refundable, even if the race is canceled because of an act of nature or mankind.
- If you need accommodation for a disability to participate in this event, please contact the FLRC Diversity and Inclusion Committee chair at email@example.com.
- This race is organized by the Finger Lakes Runners Club and insured by the Road Runners Club of America.