Held in memory of race co-founder Diane Sherrer, the Women’s Distance Festival 5K celebrates women’s running with a women-only road race and walk. Mothers, daughters, sisters, and women partners run together along the scenic Waterfront Trail in Ithaca’s Stewart Park. Along with individual and age group awards, special awards will be given to the first mother/daughter, sister/sister, grandmother/granddaughter, and women partner teams. Men are welcome too… as fans and volunteers.
In recognition and support of the Advocacy Center of Tompkins County, participants will have an opportunity to donate funds during registration and when picking up their bibs. The Advocacy Center (formerly the Task Force For Battered Women/ Child Sexual Abuse Project) has provided support, advocacy and education for survivors of domestic violence since 1977, survivors of child sexual abuse since 1982, and survivors of adult sexual assault since 2003. The goal of the Advocacy Center is to help reduce the trauma that results from domestic violence, sexual assault, and child sexual abuse. For more information, visit www.theadvocacycenter.org.
The race starts and finishes at Stewart Park in Ithaca, and will be run on the Waterfront Trail. Bib pickup and registration are at are at the small pavilion. There is plenty of free parking in the park.
The race starts at 6:30 PM.
Day-of-race registration and packet pick-up are 5:30 – 6:15 PM.
Online registration opens June 1.
Online pre-registration is strongly encouraged and is open until 6:00 PM on July 8. For those who cannot register online, a PDF entry form can be printed and returned by July 3. (Check back soon for paper form!)
Day-of-race registration closes at 6:15 PM.
- $20 for pre-registration, $30 for day-of-race registration.
- FLRC members may deduct $5 only when pre-registering.
- Runners 18 and under may pre-register for free or register day-of-race for $10.
- Shirts will be available to the first 75 runners for $10 each.
- Restrooms are available, but there are no changing facilities or showers.
- There is one water station on the course.
- Post-race food and drink are provided.
- Results will be announced at the race and will also be available at the FLRC Web site afterward.
- For remaining questions, contact race directors Suzanne Aigen (607-339-0377, firstname.lastname@example.org) or Denice Cassaro (607-256-0373, email@example.com).
The award ceremony takes place shortly after the race, with awards in the following categories:
- First overall open and masters (40+) women.
- First women in each of these age groups:
1–10, 11–14, 15–18, 19–29, 30–39, 40–49, 50–59, 60–69, and 70+
- First mother/daughter, sister/sister, grandmother/granddaughter, and women partner teams.
- No dogs are allowed on the course.
- Jogging strollers will be allowed at the back of the pack and only for walkers
- The race directors reserve the right to reject any entry for any reason.
- All runners must follow the directions of course marshals or risk being disqualified.
- Entry fees are non-refundable, even if the race is canceled because of an act of nature or mankind.
- This race is organized by the Finger Lakes Runners Club and insured by the Road Runners Club of America.