ITHACA 5&10 RACE STATUS
FLRC has closed registration for this race until such time as we feel comfortable making a decision either to hold the race with appropriate physical distancing measures or, if that’s not feasible, to cancel the race. We plan to make a decision by August 15th at the latest. If you’d like to receive a notification of what we decided, register an account on the FLRC forum. Or just check back here.
This year marks the 46th consecutive running of Ithaca’s oldest road race, the Ithaca 5 & 10. This family-friendly event includes a free 1-mile Family Fun Run for kids. The course is a flat, fast loop through the Fall Creek neighborhood, starting and finishing at Ithaca High School. Run a single loop for 5K; repeat for 10K!
You can register late and/or pick up your bib on Saturday, September 12, from 11 AM – 5 PM at Finger Lakes Running Company. The store is located at 700 Cascadilla Street, Ithaca, NY (the Purity Ice Cream building).
Both races start and finish at Ithaca High School — 1401 N Cayuga Street, Ithaca, NY 14850. Race headquarters is in the Activities Building (next to Kulp Auditorium); the race starts will be on North Cayuga Street, adjacent to the school’s main entrance, and the finish line will be in the IHS parking lot bus lane. There is ample free parking in the high school lots off Cayuga Street and Lake Street.
- The 5K and 10K will start together at 9:15 AM.
- The Family Fun Run starts at 8:30 AM.
- Day-of-race registration and packet pick-up are in the IHS Activities Building from 7:00–8:45 AM.
Online pre-registration is strongly encouraged and will be open until 1:00 PM on Friday, September 11. If you are unable to register online, please print, fill out, and return the paper registration for before September 7. (Check back soon for paper form.)
Day-of-race registration closes at 8:45 AM sharp.
- $20 for pre-registration, $30 for late registration (after 1 PM on Friday, September 11.)
- FLRC members may deduct $5 only when pre-registering. No discounts for late registration!
- Runners 18 and under may pre-register for free or register late for $10.
- The Fun Run is free, but all runners need to register.
The 5K course will be a single loop through the Fall Creek neighborhood; the 10K course will be two loops.
The Fun Run course goes from Ithaca High School around Boynton Middle School and back. It is run entirely on sidewalks and bike paths.
- Start on N Cayuga Street adjacent to the IHS tennis courts.
- Head south on N Cayuga.
- As you approach downtown Ithaca, turn left onto Court Street.
- Take the second left to head north on N Tioga Street.
- At the end of N Tioga, turn right onto E Falls Street.
- At the T-intersection, go left onto Lake Street to cross the bridge. Enjoy the view of Fall Creek and the cascading, 150-foot Ithaca Falls on your right.
- Continue straight, with the school on your left, as Lake Street becomes E Shore Drive.
- Just past the school parking lot, turn left onto N Cayuga Street.
- Follow N Cayuga as it curves around Boynton Middle School and IHS, back to the race’s starting point.
- If you’re running the 5K, or Loop 2 of the 10K, turn left into the bus lane to finish. If this is your first loop on the 10K, continue straight and repeat the loop.
- Restrooms are available, but there are no changing facilities or showers.
- There will be two water stations on the course.
- Post-race refreshments will be provided.
- Results will be posted at the race and will also be available here and on Webscorer.
- For remaining questions, contact race director Gary McCheyne.
Be aware that the course includes roads that are open to traffic. Course marshals will assist you in crossing, but all runners need to be alert and aware of traffic.
The award ceremony takes place shortly after each race, with awards in the following categories:
- First overall open (under 40) male and female
- First overall masters (40+) male and female
- First overall vet (50+) male and female
- First overall super-vet (60+) male and female
- Unlike some FLRC trail races, you may not switch distances after the start.
- No dogs, headphones, or jogging strollers. These make the race dangerous for everyone.
- The race director reserves the right to reject any entry for any reason.
- Entry fees are non-refundable, even if the race is canceled because of an act of nature or any other reason.
- This race is organized by the Finger Lakes Runners Club and insured by the Road Runners Club of America.