These classic trail races take place on the beautiful orange- and white-blazed trails through Kennedy State Forest. The 15K (8.9-mile) course is a figure-8 that boasts 1,700 feet of climb; the 7K (4.1-mile) course follows the shorter, more scenic loop of the 15K and features about 700 feet of climb. Both courses have you splashing across a stream and ascending to the rock pile where the famed Monster (of the Monster Marathon) once dwelled.
The courses consist of 50% single-track trail, 30% logging roads, and 20% dirt roads. The trail is well marked (painted blazes on trees, double blazes at turns) and clear of brambles. Perhaps the giant fungus of 2015 will return!
Want to make a weekend of it? Come the day before with a tent and you can camp for free by the start/finish at the primitive Hauck Hill campsite. Make sure to bring water.
The Forest Frolic trail runs are part of the FLRC Trail Circuit, and results are included in the annual Pebblehead/Stonehead/Boulderhead rankings.
Both races start and finish at the Hauck Hill campsite on Hauck Hill Road in Virgil, NY. Navigate to the intersection of Hauck Hill Road and Bleck Road; the campsite is 0.4 miles down the rugged (dirt) side of Hauck Hill Road. Parking is allowed ONLY on the right side of the road as you head into the start.
The 7K and 15K races start together at 9 AM. Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your race to pick up your bib.
Check back soon for online registration!
Online pre-registration is strongly encouraged and is open until 6:00 PM on July 30, the night before the race. If you cannot register online, a PDF paper entry form can be downloaded and returned by July 26. (A .pdf of the paper entry form will be posted here shortly.) The race is limited to 175 participants. Day-of-race registration closes at 8:30 AM.
- $15 for pre-registration, $20 for day-of-race registration.
- FLRC members may deduct $5 only when pre-registering. No day-of-race discounts!
- Runners 18 and under may pre-register for free or register on the day of race for $10.
Interactive map — Click “Open in Cal Topo” for turn-by-turn course directions. To download a .gpx file of the 15K course that can be loaded onto a GPS watch, open the map. Click “Export” at the top, then “Download GPX File.”
7K: Nate Lockett 25:28 (2007) and Fern Beckhorn 34:10 (2007)
15K: Zack Rivers 59:16 (2007) and Katie Danner 1:08:20 (2006)
- A port-a-john will be available, but there are no showers. See “primitive” campsite above.
- No littering! All human refuse and remains on the trail must be buried. Because… blech!
- Wilderness Search and Rescue will be on hand to assist lost or injured runners. Let’s ensure they’re bored all morning.
- Tasty post-race food (fruit, cookies, etc.) and drinks (water, Gatorade, soda, beer) will be provided.
- Results will be made available shortly after the race here and via Webscorer.
- This race is part of the Finger Lakes Trail Circuit, for all you Pebbleheads, Stoneheads, and Boulderheads.
- For remaining questions other than directions, contact race directors Peter Dady (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mike Stone (email@example.com).
- Look for trail markers and blazes or you’ll end up off course! As with all trail runs, it’s on you to pay attention.
- Many will get lost momentarily. If you see no blazes ahead of you, go back!
- Unlike road races, the footing is not level. It is uneven and can be dangerous. A fall or injury is possible.
- Insect bites, mud, treacherous footing, fallen logs, and vehicles at road crossings are possible hazards.
- Heat could be a problem this time of year; if so, carry fluids and watch for symptoms of heat exhaustion!
- No dogs, headphones, or jogging strollers. These make the race dangerous for everyone.
- The race directors reserve the right to reject any entry for any reason.
- Entry fees are non-refundable, even if the race is canceled because of an act of nature or any other reason.
- This race is organized by the Finger Lakes Runners Club and insured by the Road Runners Club of America.