The 2.2-mile Ellis Hollow Creek Crossings course runs in the Ellis Hollow Nature Preserve, about 5 miles east of Ithaca on Ellis Hollow Creek Road. It’s short but will introduce you to trail navigation, terrain, and yes, lots of stream crossings. Results | Posts
- Google Maps pin showing the start/finish
- Course map (same as RunGo for this course)
- RunGo directions (for iOS, Android, or Apple Watch)
- Bathrooms: None, but the woods are quite private
Start at the Ellis Hollow Nature Preserve parking area off Ellis Hollow Creek Road. The sign is just inside the opening in the wooden fence that surrounds the parking lot.
- Head north on the trail. At the kiosk, stay straight on the yellow trail.
- At the Y, bear left onto the blue trail, and cross your first stream.
- Immediately after the stream, turn left to head back on the blue trail.
- Cross your second stream, and then rejoin the yellow trail back to the kiosk.
- Turn left at the kiosk, and run up the hill until you come to an intersection with the red trail.
- Turn right on the red trail, which will meander up the hill and around for a good bit.
- Be careful on the side hill leading down to the third stream crossing.
- At the top of the subsequent hill note that the trail switchbacks down the next steep hill to the fourth stream crossing.
- Across the stream is another short, steep hill. It’s easy enough to climb, but be careful if you’re running down it in the other direction.
- At the top of that hill, turn left to stay on the ridge.
- The trail turns right down another steep hill to your fifth stream crossing.
- Stay on the trail in the woods—you should never come out on the power line cut.
- Be careful of the short, steep hill down to the driveway, where you turn left, and then right 10 meters later.
- At the Y intersection, you can take either a left (straighter and maybe 10m shorter) or a right to go back to the kiosk. Either way, you’ll pick up your sixth stream crossing.
- Return to the parking area, and consider doing it again, since it’s so short.