This year marks the 39th consecutive running of one of Ithaca’s oldest and largest road races, with your choice between USATF-certified 10K and half-marathon distances. Join 1,000 other runners along Ellis Hollow’s scenic countryside as the skunk cabbages start to emerge in early spring!
You can register the day before the race and/or pick up your bib and shirt on Saturday, April 4, from 11 AM to 5 PM at Finger Lakes Running Company (700 Cascadilla Street, Ithaca—next to Purity Ice Cream).
The races start and finish at Barton Hall at Cornell University. Refreshments will be provided inside Barton after the race. Free parking is available in the Kite Hill lot at Schoellkopf Field, the parking garage across from Teagle Hall, and adjacent lots as noted on signs.
- The half-marathon starts at 10:00 AM on Campus Road, just outside Barton Hall.
- The 10K starts at 10:15 AM on Garden Avenue in front of Barton Hall.
- Day-of-race registration and bib pickup is between 8:00 AM and 9:45 AM.
- Please arrive early and allow yourself sufficient time to park and pick up your bib.
Online registration will open on December 1. Early-bird registration runs through December 31.
Online registration is encouraged! If you cannot register online, please download and print the paper entry form, sign the waiver, and mail it with the correct fees (payable to “FLRC”.) The paper entry must be postmarked by March 31, 2020.
If you expect to take over 3 hours to complete the half-marathon, please contact race director Alex at ak235
Interested in volunteering? This is a large-scale event that we couldn’t put on without help from individuals in our wonderful community. Please see our online volunteer form to register for a volunteer shift if you are interested.
- Early-bird registration: $25, December 1 to December 31, 2019 (FLRC members may deduct $5.)
- Regular Registration: $40 from January 1, 2020 to April 2. Online registration closes at 1 PM on April 2. All paper entries must be postmarked by March 31.
- Race Weekend: $60 from 1 PM on April 2 until 9:45 AM on race day.
- Early-bird registration: $20, December 1 to December 31, 2019 (FLRC members may deduct $2.)
- Regular Registration: $30 from January 1, 2020 to April 2. Online registration closes at 1 PM on April 2. All paper entries must be postmarked by March 31.
- 18 and Under: 10K is FREE if registered by 1 PM on April 2.
- Race weekend: $40 from 1 PM on April 2 until 9:45 AM on race day.
Show off your love for The Skunk with our new 2020 shirt design—complete with the 13.1-mile elevation profile across the skunk’s midsection. Long-sleeve tech—the white is women’s fit, black is unisex. Quantities are limited so don’t wait! The shirts are available for $20 apiece during registration.
Both courses are USATF distance-certified. It is the runner’s responsibility to know the course!
The Half-Marathon is a lollipop loop with four water stops. Start on Campus Road just outside Barton Hall and head east up campus past the Veterinary School and animal hospitals. You’ll see livestock and research barns as you run south down Game Farm Road and then follow a mostly eastward route for the first half of the course. On Ellis Hollow Road you’ll maneuver some rolling hills, especially around the halfway point where the famed skunk cabbage can be seen and smelled. With the exception of a brief incline on Turkey Hill Road—around mile 10—the rest of the route is fast and flat. Over the final few miles, you’ll run back through campus, past the Dairy Bar and the Wilson Synchrotron on one side, and Cornell Botanic Gardens on the other. Finally, enjoy a fast downhill to the finish on Garden Avenue. Download the half-marathon course map (PDF.) USATF Certification # NY11012JG
The 10K is an out-and-back on a mostly flat, fast course, with two water stops. Start on Garden Avenue in front of Barton Hall and follow the same course as the half-marathon, out Game Farm Road to Stevenson. At the 5k mark on Stevenson Road, you’ll be turned around by volunteers at the community-sponsored water stop. From here, reverse your course back to the Cornell campus. Re-enter campus on Tower Road, then head toward the Clock Tower, past the Dairy Bar and the Wilson Synchrotron on one side, and Cornell Botanic Gardens on the other. Finally, enjoy a fast downhill to the finish on Garden Avenue. Download the 10K course map (PDF.) USATF Certification # NY11011JG
- Restrooms are available in Barton Hall.
- 10K and half-marathon runners will have different colored bibs.
- There will be a lead biker for each race.
- The half-marathon course runs against traffic from Dodge Road until the right turn onto Game Farm.
- Volunteers will be stationed roughly every two miles to provide water and Gatorade to all runners for both distances.
- Results will be posted in Barton Hall at the event, and will be available on RunSignUp and on the FLRC website soon after the race. The race is timed by Leone Timing.
- For remaining questions, contact race director Alex Kleinerman at email@example.com.
Be aware that both courses include state and county highways that are open to traffic! Course marshals will assist you in crossing, but all runners need to be alert and aware of traffic. No headphones allowed.
All half marathon finishers will receive an all-new custom finisher’s medal. (Check back soon for image!)
The awards ceremony takes place soon after each race ends, with male and female awards in the following categories:
- Top three overall open, top two overall masters (40–49), and first overall vets (50+.)
- Top three in each of these age groups: 1–14, 15–19, 20–24, 25–29, 30–34, 35–39, 40–44, 45–49, 50–54, 55–59, 60–64, 65–69, and 70+.
- Note: There is no duplication of awards.
- If you expect to take over 3 hours to complete the half-marathon, please contact the race director at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Absolutely no refunds, deferrals, or athlete transfers will be allowed.
- No headphones, jogging strollers, or dogs! These make the race dangerous for everyone.
- The race directors reserve the right to reject any entry for any reason.
- This race is organized by the Finger Lakes Runners Club and the Cornell Running Club, and is insured by the Road Runners Club of America.
Half-Marathon: Christian Thompson 1:07:36 (2014), Ellie Pell 1:20:37 (2016)
10K: Tom Boone 30:33 (1987), Tamara Sayre 35:36 (1989)
Masters Half-Marathon: Kevin Collins 1:13:17 (2014), Winnie Ngan 1:25:55 (2001)
Masters 10K: Tim Otis 33:20 (1995), Sarah Kramer 38:14 (2005)