We’ve designed the FLRC Challenge so everyone has a chance at a prize. And if you’re thinking, “I’m too slow or too old to win anything,” think again, since we have competitions that even walkers could win. The award categories are as follows; see the rules for how certain metrics are calculated.
- Everyone who completes all ten courses receives an FLRC Challenge medal
- Overall male and female winners of the series, based on points
- The next four male and female runners in the Most Points competition
- Overall winner of the series, based on total number of miles run
- The next nine runners in the Most Miles competition
- Overall winner of the series, based on age grade
- The next nine runners who complete all ten courses, sorted by average age grade
- The top ten members of the winning team, sorted by the intersection of average age grade and most miles
- For each course, the male and female with the fastest times
- For each course, the single person with the most runs
- For each course, the male and female with the best average times
- For each course, the fastest male and female in each 10-year age group
Apart from the FLRC Challenge medal, the rest of the prizes will be gift certificates to the Finger Lakes Running Company, which allows us to support a local business and lets you defray the cost of your next pair of shoes. The amount of the gift certificates is tied to the number of people who participate in the Challenge, so the more people who play, the larger the prizes!
The Challenge Director reserves the right to change the per-runner multipliers, but they’re currently set at 50¢ for the overall points and miles winners and 5¢ for all the rest except for the age-group winners, whose multiplier is 2.5¢. Thus, if 200 people sign up for the Challenge, the top prizes would be $100 each, a per-race win would be $10, and an age-group win would be $5.
Some people will undoubtedly win multiple prizes, which is entirely acceptable. There’s only one spot where there’s no double-dipping: for each course, the fastest male and female runners don’t also get the age-group awards.