The Winter Chill 5K Series is an excuse to get out of the house on Sundays in January and run a low-key race with fellow FLRC members. The weather at these races can range from downright balmy to wonderfully wintry. All four races are free and restricted to FLRC members, and if you’re not already a member, you can sign up for an annual membership for just $20.
Continuing with our tradition, each race will have a theme—this year we’re going full color to increase the fun factor and amp up the photo opportunities. Each race will have a different color, and your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to wear as much of that color as you can as your outer layer. Wearing the color of the week is optional, of course, but those who do will stand out. We’ll announce the colors as we get closer to the race dates.
Each Winter Chill race follows the same course, starting behind the hockey rink at Cass Park and following the Waterfront Trail along the Cayuga Inlet. Runners will follow the Waterfront Trail south along the Cayuga Inlet, turning around just beyond the Route 79 underpass. Then follow the same route back to the finish.
Warm up your New Year’s resolutions (or proud lack thereof!) and drag your friends along for the fun!
Each race starts and finishes behind the hockey rink at Cass Park (701 Taughannock Blvd, Ithaca, NY 14850). There is plenty of free parking at Cass Park.
The race starts at 11:00 AM. Please arrive at least 30 minutes early to pick up your bib. There is no race-day registration for the 2022 Winter Chill races.
- Beware that the wind off the inlet may be very cold. Wear appropriate clothing and lots of it!
- The paved trail may be icy. Please exercise caution when running and passing others.
- FLRC and the City of Ithaca make reasonable efforts to ensure a clear path, but cannot guarantee one.
- You must be an FLRC member to run!
- Make sure to bring your bib from the first race to each subsequent race.
- Restrooms and changing facilities are available in the main building of Cass Park.
- There will be no water stops on the course—they might freeze, and it’s only a 5K.
- Post-race food and drink will be provided.
- Results will be posted live on Webscorer during the race and on the FLRC Web site afterward.
- For remaining questions, contact race director Sarah Drumheller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No dogs, headphones, or jogging strollers. These make the race dangerous for everyone.
- The race directors reserve the right to reject any entry for any reason.
- All runners must follow the directions of course marshals or risk being disqualified.
- This race is organized by the Finger Lakes Runners Club and insured by the Road Runners Club of America.