The Winter Chill 5K Series is an excuse to get out of the house every Sunday in January and run a low-key race with fellow FLRC members. The weather at these races can range from downright balmy to wonderfully wintry. All four races are free to FLRC members, and if you’re not already a member, you can sign up for an annual membership for just $20.
Continuing with our tradition, each race will have a theme. Each theme is, of course, optional. The idea is that it increases the fun factor and makes for some interesting photo opportunities. The theme for this race (week 1) is to dress in your favorite color.
Each Winter Chill race follows the same course,starting behind the hockey rink at Cass Park and following the Waterfront Trail along the Cayuga Inlet. New for 2020: runners will follow the Waterfront Trail south along the Cayuga Inlet, turning around just beyond the Route 96 underpass. Then follow the same route back to the finish.
Some people may organize informal post-event meals after the first three Winter Chill races, and everyone is invited to brunch after the final race.
Warm up your New Year’s resolutions (or proud lack thereof!) and drag your friends along for the fun!
Each race starts and finishes behind the hockey rink at Cass Park (701 Taughannock Blvd, Ithaca, NY 14850). There is plenty of free parking at Cass Park.
The race starts at 11:00 AM. Day-of-race registration and bib pick-up is from 10:00 – 10:30.
Day-of-race registration closes at 10:30 AM. You will be issued a numbered bib which will be used for all four races.
Reuse your bib for each race!
- Beware that the wind off the inlet may be very cold. Wear appropriate clothing and lots of it!
- The paved trail may be icy. Please exercise caution when running and passing others.
- FLRC and the City of Ithaca make reasonable efforts to ensure a clear path, but cannot guarantee one.
- You must be an FLRC member to run!
- Make sure to bring your bib from the first race to each subsequent race.
- Restrooms and changing facilities are available in the main building of Cass Park.
- There will be no water stops on the course—they might freeze, and it’s only a 5K.
- Post-race food and drink will be provided.
- Results will be announced at the race and will also be available at the FLRC Web site afterward.
- For remaining questions, contact race director Sarah Drumheller at email@example.com.
- You must check in for each event so we know who is running.
- No dogs, headphones, or jogging strollers. These make the race dangerous for everyone.
- The race directors reserve the right to reject any entry for any reason.
- All runners must follow the directions of course marshals or risk being disqualified.
- This race is organized by the Finger Lakes Runners Club and insured by the Road Runners Club of America.