The 2016 running of the Danby Down and Dirty took place in cool, cloudy conditions, but a good time was had by all!
|1||Earl Steinbrecher||45:31:00||M||48||1st M open|
|3||Nora McIver Sheridan||51:49:00||F||27||1st F open|
|4||Kurt Pipa||51:50:00||M||46||1st M 45-49|
|5||Bruce Roebal||52:11:00||M||56||1st M 55-59|
|6||Jia Forrest||53:22:00||M||40||1st M 40-44|
|14||Bill King||56:02:00||M||52||1st M 50-54|
|20||Ruth Sherman||62:55:00||F||53||1st F 50-54|
|29||Ariana Rife||66:38:00||F||43||1st F 40-44|
|35||Louise Mahar||71:08:00||F||48||1St F 45-49|
|38||Peter Dady||73:01:00||M||60||1st M 60-64|
|70||Ann Townsend-Pors||94:48:00||F||59||1st F 55-59|
|1||Eric Sambolec||1:34:07||M||34||1st M open|
|3||Yvette De Boer||1:44:42||F||49||1st F open|
|9||Gerrit Van Loon||1:53:19||M||51||1st M 50-54|
|11||Jim Chely||1:53:58||M||56||1st M 55-59|
|12||Mike Wright||1:54:48||M||63||1 st M 60-64|
|13||Eric Stern||1:54:53||M||42||1st M 40-44|
|16||Nancy Kleinrock||2:01:44||F||52||1st F 50-54|
|22||Steve Shaum||2:09:14||M||47||1st M 45-49|
|29||Becky Harman||2:19:04||F||43||1st F 40-44|
|39||Joe Reynolds||3:05:53||M||68||1st M 65-69|
FLRC’s final trail race of the year offers two distances so everyone can enjoy the crisp autumn weather and gorgeous fall foliage in the lovely Danby State Forest. The course comprises about 60% single-track trails on the Finger Lakes Trail and Abbott Loop and 40% dirt and logging roads. While it is fine to switch from one distance to the other mid-race, as a courtesy to our volunteers, all runners coming through the 10K after 10:30 AM will be directed to the finish line. If it’s a clear day, sacrifice a few seconds to enjoy the spectacular multi-county views from the Pinnacles halfway through the 10K loop before plummeting headlong down a twisty trail! Afterwards, relive your race while enjoying cider and bagels with your fellow runners.
The 10K and 20K races start together at 9:00 AM.
Day-of-race registration and bib pickup is between 7:45 and 8:45 AM.
Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the race to pick up your bib number.
Online pre-registration is strongly encouraged and is open until 6 PM the night before the race.
Day-of-race registration closes at 8:45 AM!
$15 for pre-registration, $20 for day-of-race registration.
FLRC members may deduct $5 only when pre-registering. No day-of-race discounts! Runners 18 and under may pre-register for free or register on the day of race for $10.
- Port-a-johns will be available, but there are no showers or changing facilities.
- There will be one aid station midway through the 10K (20K runners pass it twice) and another at 10K.
- We use only compostable cups; please take care of your non-compostables on your own.
- No littering! All human refuse and remains on the trail must be buried. Because… blech!
- Tasty post-race food (fruit, bagels, etc.) and drinks (water, Gatorade, soda, apple cider) will be provided.
- Results will be made available shortly after the race via Webscorer; visit the FLRC Web site for full results later.
- This race is part of the Finger Lakes Trail Circuit, for all you Pebbleheads, Stoneheads, and Boulderheads.
- For remaining questions other than directions (for those, consult Google Maps, a GPS, or paper map!), contact race director Andy Jordan (email@example.com).
The award ceremony takes place shortly after the race, with awards in the following categories:
- First overall male and female
First in each of these age groups, male and female: Under 40, 40–49, 50–59, 60–69, and 70+
10K: Ian Golden 41:47 (2007) and Robyn Ellerbrock 49:48 (2011)
20K: Eric Sambolec 1:29:36 (2008) and Yvette DeBoer 1:41:19 (2009)
- Look for trail markers or you could end up off course! As with all trail runs, it’s on you to pay attention.Unlike road races, the footing is not level. It is uneven and can be dangerous. A fall or injury is possible.
- Unlike road races, the footing is not level. It is uneven and can be dangerous. A fall or injury is possible.
- Insect bites, mud, treacherous footing, fallen logs, and vehicles at road crossings are possible hazards.
- Heat could still be a concern this time of year; if so, carry drink and watch for symptoms of heat exhaustion!
- Cold weather could also be a problem; if so, bring warm clothes for after the race to prevent hypothermia.
- All runners coming through the 10K checkpoint after 10:30 AM will be directed to the finish line.
- No dogs, headphones, or jogging strollers. These make the race dangerous for everyone.
- The race directors reserve the right to reject any entry for any reason.
- Entry fees are non-refundable, even if the race is canceled because of an act of nature or mankind.
- This race is organized by the Finger Lakes Runners Club and insured by the Road Runners Club of America.